4/06/2010
Alice in Wonderland
Alice in Wonderland is like a famous story known by lots of people. And this new story tells about how Alice goes back to the “underland” and starts a new adventure.
Having forgotten her trip to Wonderland as a child, 19-year-old Alice is now a misfit teenager in England, where her parents’ high society friends keep pressuring her to stop asking silly questions all the time and start thinking about grown-up responsibilities. Running away in a panic from her surprise engagement party, Alice again finds herself falling down the rabbit hole to Wonderland, where she discovers her old friends living in terror under the iron rule of the Red Queen (Helena Bonham Carter). Faced with another destiny not of her own choosing, Alice must decide if she can be brave enough to save her pals from the evil queen by slaying the deadly dragon known as the Jabberwock.
As a young reader, I found Alice in Wonderland creepy and rather distasteful. Alice's adventures played like a series of encounters with characters whose purpose was to tease, puzzle and torment her. Few children would want to go to wonderland, and none would want to stay. The problem may be that I encountered the book too young and was put off by the alarming illustrations. Why did Alice have such deep, dark eye sockets? Why couldn't Wonderland be cozy like the world of Pooh? Watching the 1951 Disney film, I feared the Cheshire cat was about to tell me something I didn't want to know.
The new 3-D version of "Alice in Wonderland" somehow answers the questions. This has never been a children's story. There's even a little sadism embedded in this fantasy. "Alice" plays better as an adult hallucination, which is how it is brilliantly interpreted it until a pointless third act flies off the rails. It was a wise idea to devise a reason that Alice is now a grown girl in her late teens, revisiting a Wonderland that remains much the same, as fantasy worlds must always do. And perhaps the meaning of a fantasy is to make people to be “mad.” Just as in the movie, young Alice asked her dad,
“Am I mad? ” and her dad replied to her, “Yes, you are,” “but all the great people are.”
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/
訂閱:
張貼留言 (Atom)
This story is something that I knew from a little, but I remember when I first read it, I did not quite understand the world that was described even though it was a picture book. However, I liked it because each character in the story had some funny habits and the scenes were so colorful. However, reading above descriptions, what I've thought the story it was about probably was not what the story is really about. I hardly remember the story but I never thought that even sadism or adult hallucination was illustrated in the story. I guess watching this film as an adult, I will probably get totally different perspective about it.
回覆刪除